Keeping a blog is a great way to get your thoughts out there in front of potential clients. You can present the entire character of your company in just a few entries. However, it’s not enough to simply create and present content. Keeping a blog means that you need to have a blog SEO strategy. When done correctly, SEO makes your blog more visible to search engine web crawlers who will then index the site. In turn, being indexed contributes to being visible on Google, Bing, and other search engines. Here are five tips and tricks to forming a great SEO strategy for your blog.
- On-Page SEO. This term refers to the organizing and optimizing of individual web pages both in terms of content and of source code. Pages need to be optimized to load quickly and for mobile users. Proper HTML structure such as the use of text formatting tags should be present. User-friendly navigation such as site maps, drop downs, and accessible menus are as important to design as they are indexing. Most important is fresh content!
- Off-Page SEO. Off-page functions include external links that are going to your site, social media mentions, bookmarks, and sharing. For instance, a review on Yelp that links back to your website can be considered a form of page SEO. All of these external activities push your page higher in search engine rankings.
- Mind your keywords. Keyword stuffing is a dirty word and a practice that can earn you some serious side-eye and even a banhammering from Google. Don’t stuff but select a maximum of three longtail keywords per blog post. These longer keywords are often information-oriented or searching for a particular product or service within a local area. For instance, “Where is a good pizza parlor in Ocean City?” or “24-hour emergency dentist near me.” These are very specific content-oriented keywords that customers will search and look for accessible results.
- Mind your headline. The title and title tag of a blog post should have a keyword within the first 50 to 60 characters. This is where Google cuts off the indexing results. Not putting your keywords in this area means that the algorithm will miss them.
- Sitemaps! Sitemaps help you to tell Google and other search engine crawlers about how your site is organized by providing metadata about pages and various types of content on your website. This is especially important with you are sites that have low visibility and lack enough external SEO from backlinks crawled from another website
Need a Little Push to Get Your Blog SEO Strategy Together?
If getting your blog SEO strategy together is a little intimidating, then there’s nothing wrong with hiring a professional to help you along the way. Getting the traffic you need is more than just keywords, but a whole approach to creating, organizing, and presenting website. 4 Step Studio is decades of experience in helping small businesses grow their presence online, grow their website, and grow their business. Contact us today and let us work with you create a website that brings in traffic.
Fill out this form to get a free consultation from our digital marketing professionals.